Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dad comes to visit!

    This past weekend my dad came out to visit!  He hadn't been out here since September 2011 and I hadn't been home since December 2011.  This whole living 1500 miles away is tough :(  Anyways, he flew in thursday night around 9PM and I picked him up after work.  By the time we got home we were all exhausted so we just went to sleep.  Friday morning we were up early; J left for work around 7AM so my dad and I enjoyed some coffee and then headed to the gym.  We had a great workout then headed back home to get ready for the day.  We decided to check out Northpark mall, mostly to look at all the things we can't afford.. ha ha.  We had lunch at Kona Grill and it was delicious.  After we had spent a few hours at the mall we went to Central Market (our favorite place) and got a few things to snack on for later.   Once J got home later that afternoon we went to dinner at Village Burger bar and then got some delicious fro yo from yummilicious :)  Saturday, J was off work, so my dad decided he wanted to make us a big breakfast.  We had eggs, pancakes, muffins and some delicious, crispy bacon. My dad really is a great cook, I have missed his meals!  Once breakfast settled, we decided to tackle a new activity that none of us had ever tried...stand up paddle boards!  It was so much fun.  I wish I was able to get more pictures, especially when J fell off 3 different times!  He was little annoyed at first but once he got the hang of it he was fine.  My dad was a natural (He was a surfer for most of his young life) so I never really had any doubts.  We spent about an hour at white rock lake and an hour is plenty enough to tire us out.  We headed back home to shower and relax for the afternoon.  That night we celebrated my dad's 58th birthday at his favorite restaurant, Morton's Steakhouse.  Every time we have been there has been a great experience and this time was no exception.  The service is always wonderful and the food is amazing.  They had a special going on, for 45.99 a person you got a salad, a 6 oz filet, one side and dessert.  There portions are huge so that meal went a long ways.  It was a wonderful night.  Sunday, dad I went to Katy trail to get in a nice run.  For a 58 year old guy, my dad is  in great shape!  We walked about 2.4 miles and then ran back the same route.  After our run we went to have brunch at one of my favorites here in dallas, Dream cafe.  I had a delicious belgium waffle and my  dad got the tuna melt.  After our bellies were full we laid out by the pool for a bit until it started to rain.  It doesn't rain much here so it was a very welcome sight.  We decided for dinner that night that we would pick up some things from Eatzi (another favorite place).  They have tons of pre-made items that were awesome and it was so fun to pick out separate things that we all wanted.  My dad had to go back on monday and it was such a bummer.  Even though we didn't really do anything special while he was here it was nice to just do the normal things that we would do together if I was living back in florida.  I am so glad J was able to be off for a few days with us.  That doesn't happen often so I was very thankful.  It was a fantastic weekend.  I am already excited to go home in November and see the rest of the family :)
     This next weekend coming up probably won't be as relaxing...I am heading to Camp Esparanza for the week.  This camp is a week long camp for kids ages 6-16 that have or are currently undergoing treatment for cancer.  I know it is going to be a lot of work but I very excited to get the chance to see these kids having a great time and not stuck in the hospital.  Most of the time I see these kids is when they are sick and really not feeling like themselves so it will be nice to see them in a happier environment!  I'll be sure to document what the week was like.

Love, Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment